Monday 9 January 2012

Art of being an immigrant class teacher


Part One, A PUZZLE

As some of you may know after returning to Finland I’ve been a teacher for immigrant children at the primary level. It’s like a prep class to learn Finnish, culture and some other subjects. Yeah, I know how ironic, ha me teaching Finnish. But shhh, they don’t know how bad I am in Finnish and it is simple Finnish, so it’s ok, I won’t spoil the kids, I promise. Now you’re wondering what is this, I was supposed to bring a smile on your face after reading my blog, I promise you will. I think many of you can relate to what I'm gonna tell you. Though, I admit lately I’ve been bit emotional and I’ve been thinking way too much… as someone would say to me…Little princess, you think too much! To get to the point telling about art of being me and punch of others who do what I’m doing…

After sleeping only about 5 hours because of the bloody full moon, that for some reason kept me awake or maybe more the fact that peace is over in my life for couple of months again.
I have nine kids in my class and I know most of you think ONLY NINE, what she is complaining about, she doesn’t know a thing! Wait…they’re from 5 different countries, out of these nine children, three are 1st graders…no sorry one of them is actually preschoolers, two 2nd graders, one 3rd grader, one 5th grader and two 6th graders. Top of that even the ones being at the same grade their level of Finnish differs, or they’ve never been to school before. They’re also integrated into to normal classes in art subjects and some others. And…yes, let me get into that…it means I have to make 9 different timetables to fit into other classes timetable so that each one of them is able to go to their integration lessons. Then I make one timetable, which tells me who integrated to where and when, (rather than looking 9 different ones or trying to remember everything by heart DOES NOT WORK FOR ME)After that I start making my own timetable trying to have somehow equal amount of time for each children and their needs!

When I started this autumn it was a NIGHTMARE I tell you, it took me weeks trying to make sense of anything. So each time I became smarter, admit I spent A LOT OF TIME figuring out what, where, how to make it easier and manage it.  Now I’m pretty good at making these puzzles, even if say it myself!!! IT ONLY TOOK ME about 8 hours this time to make all the timetables (being so fool that I actually made them ready over the holiday so that I’ll just see little changes here there when the school starts) I tell you, one or two hours changes here and there in other teachers timetable and I have to redo the whole thing!!!But it only took me ONE evening now when the school started (for sure there’ll be some changes as always)!!!

To make my life easier knowing what lays ahead (chaos as always, because, the kids have totally forgotten how to behave, sit still, listen and… Can you guess what are the first Finnish words they learn to say in my class after learning to say their name …SIT DOWN and BE QUIET!!!)  I was super active yesterday making food for the whole week :) just put it in a micro way for 2 min while you open your computer and start writing…in your dreams my thesis!!! But life feels so much better!

But I LOVE MY job (and there’s a lot more that I’m not telling you just trying to make it look nice)… at least the kids :D…all the hugs I got today, I tell you,even being tired and running around like mad man I still wanna go to work tomorrow!!!It can only get better!

Good night people, tomorrow is another day!

I felt as tired today, though not as relaxed as in the picture!
This is how I've been feeling! The Puzzle Song

No comments:

Post a Comment