Monday 1 June 2015

Teachers Without Borders


Most of you already know that I’m back in Finland. Some of you are wondering why she is back, because you thought I will be away much longer.  NO - I don’t have a boyfriend, NO - I didn’t get married and I’m NOT pregnant! Instead I'm back because I will go and work at the refugee camp in Uganda!!!

Believe me or not, but I’ve been looking for jobs this spring, so it has not been just a holiday. I even applied few teaching jobs in Europe. Two days later after I send those applications I spotted a very interesting volunteer job with TEACHERS WITHOUT BORDERS network! Wow that sounds interesting, that’s what I want to do! Hmmm, there is only two days left to apply…let’s go for it I thought without thinking about it too much! I send my application and two and half months later here I am in Helsinki taking a course at Finn Church Aid before leaving to Uganda to work at the refugee camp for six months. Most likely I will leave in July 2015! I have worked with immigrants past few years in Finland and I thought it would be interesting to see how situation where the refugees are coming from is and how can we make it better for them already over there. Also, this is what I studied for at the University!

Everything happened very fast. I didn’t want to tell about this before I was sure I got the job. Now I'm sure and I’m trying to organise everything before I leave. Only two and half weeks ago I bought flights back to Europe. It was not easy to leave my sister and her family, because we had the best time together. They were also a reason why I didn't go and see anyone else in Australia. Because of the job I got, my visit in OZ was short and my sister needed me the most and I needed them! 

In Europe, I went first to my good friend’s wedding in Germany and then to Finland. 

Mat & Anja


At Korkeasaari Zoo in Finland
Last five months passed by faster than I expected. My plan of keeping up with my blog was hard. I was writing a LOT though, but on my diary. Before leaving Javi reminded me that keeping up with a blog can be difficult, because all the time something happens when you travel and you don’t want to be on a computer. He was right and I failed keeping up with the blog but I didn’t fail writing. I promise you the stories will come out one day!
 
All I can say I’m happy about this job possibility. I know it’s gonna be really tough place and hard work, but still it is nice to return to African continent. Hopefully, I will have a change to visit my Zambian family and friends after I finish my work. I’m also happy to be back in Finland! Already in few days, I saw some of my former students, I went to my cousin’s graduation in Rovaniemi, saw my relatives and friends. Now I'm trying to orientate myself going to Uganda. Training started today. We talked about importance of culture and religions and how to mingle in between.
More to come soon!

1 comment: